Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why I love having Korean students


#1) They teach me about new holidays like Pepero (빼빼로) day. From wikipedia:

Pepero Day is an observance in South Korea similar to Valentine's Day or Sweetest Day. It is named after the Korean snack Pepero and held on November 11, since the date "11/11" resembles five sticks of Pepero. The holiday is observed mostly by young people and couples, who exchange Pepero sticks, other candies, and romantic gifts.

According to one story, Pepero Day was started in 1994 by students at a girls' middle school in Busan, where they exchanged Pepero sticks as gifts to wish one another to grow "as tall and slender as a Pepero"[citation needed] (Pepero means "thin like a stick"). However, it is more likely it was initiated by Lotte, the company which produces Pepero.


So, today, I was greeted with cries of "Happy Pepero Day!" and outstretched hands, hoping for some candy. (Note: say pepper with a Spanish accent with an "O" on the end and you have correctly pronounced the word.) Needless to say, I was unaware of this special day and did not have any candy to give. However, I did receive 7 boxes of this delicious candy. My favorite was the one that had a note taped on it that explained the tradition. It was so sweet--both emotionally and taste-ally.

#2) My Korean students help me think about the world in a different way. A small example of this is a discussion I had with my 8th grade students the other day about brushing teeth. I really don't remember how we got on the subject; however, we started talking about the order in which people prepare their toothbrush--water or toothpaste first. Then several of them got a confused look on their face and asked, "You put water on your toothbrush before you brush your teeth?" Which was like whoa! how can you not put water on your toothbrush before you start brushing your teeth. But apparently, several of my students have heard or read that it makes the toothpaste less effective if you get it wet before you put it in your mouth. I never would have known this except I have these students to share it with me.

#3) Well. . .this is more just a story I have to tell. . .today, one of my 6th grade students came rushing into the class and up to my desk. He very excitedly waved a piece of paper in my face and said, "Miss Shimer, here is your invitation to the birthday party! Can you come?" I took it and turned it over only to see when the party was only to discover that the whole thing was written in Korean! Thankfully, he offered to translate for me, although I still don't know where the party is because he said, "I'll just tell you later." But he did remember to translate the part that said to not forget the birthday present.

All of my students are wonderful and I love them very much. I feel so privileged to be a part of their lives and to help them grow as students and as people. I can only ask for the wisdom and courage to help them grow in the most important way.

No comments:

Post a Comment