Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sorry for the delay

I know it has been forever since I have posted anything on this blog. I'm sorry. I really do feel badly that I was so lax in keeping people updated on what has been going on here in China.
In broad terms, the school year ended well. It was a huge learning experience for me and I really enjoyed it.
In the second semester:
  • We put together the 2008-2009 yearbook. That's another post for another day
  • I coached middle school intermural soccer each Thursday and ended up taking a team to a middle school tournament in the next city over.
  • I learned how to run lights during the middle school drama production. . .I am so proud of all the hard work my students did.
  • I learned just how hard it is to say good-bye to students. Also, another post for another day. For now, I'll just say that in the international school community, good-byes are a way of life, but they never get easier.
This coming year, I will be co-teaching 6th grade Lang. Arts and Soc. Studies with one of the new teachers, Lisa. I'm really excited about this class. We'll be combining the subject areas and I think once we find our groove, it will be a really awesome class. I'll also be teaching 8th grade English again. This is one class that is staying the same and I can't wait to reteach it. I'm also doing yearbook again; however, I will not have to do the newspaper. I am beyond excited to have the whole year with only the yearbook to focus on. I'm also really excited about the staff that I have for the class. We start with official teacher stuff on Friday and our first day of school is on August 13.

As you see back-to-school ads and displays or prepare yourself or your children for this coming school year, here are some things that I would appreciate you remembering
  • humility in teaching--that I would not pridefully think that now that I'm on my second year hear, I know everything and can do everything. One thing that I have been reminded of over and over this summer is that I can do absolutely NOTHING on my own. In the busy-ness of school, I can't forget that
  • deeper relationships with students--My greatest desire for this year is to continue to build relationships with students that will help them seek the most important Relationship of all
  • wisdom in time management--knowing when to say no. . .to time commitments if need be, but also to time-wasters.
I wish you all could experience things here. I'm really excited about what is happening and what this year might bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment