Sunday, March 3, 2013

Singlehanded

So I cut myself pretty badly last week and ended up getting 2 stitches. Since then I have been reflecting on how my life is different when I can only do some tasks with one hand.
Have you ever tried to wash you face using only one hand? It's hard. It's the first time since middle school I've gotten water up my nose. Just in case you're ever in my shoes, the key is to only work on one side of your face at a time.
It has been a good excuse to not wash dishes. "Sorry I can't wash this dish. Can't get my stitches wet."
However, it's been humbling asking for help with simple things, but I learned the first day that its better to ask for help than to overdo it and pay the price. I've had people bring me food, pack my suitcase, do my hair and carry numerous things. Thank you again to those people.
My solution to keeping my stitches dry in the shower has been to wear a rubber glove and tape the top closed. It's the first time I've had to pack a rubber glove. I wondered what the airport people thought when they saw it. One lone rubber glove.
I've also gotten a lot better at using gauze and tape to keep it covered. Do you know how hard it is to keep tape on the palm of your hand? Really hard. And for future reference, not using a lot of tape to look less conspicuous is not a good idea. Just bite the bullet and look a little silly. It's worth it to not have your bandage falling off.

No comments:

Post a Comment