Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Letter Pt. 2

Continuing on with the letter I started yesterday. (I love my big family. . .but it does make doing anything for every member of the family an undertaking)

Jesse, thank you for teaching me just how contagious a smile is and for helping me to see that, no matter where you are, laughing together always brings people together. I know you are grown up and have to think about serious, grown up things. But one of the things that I love the most about you is your goofiness. I imagine that 16 year old with a perm, cracking up a whole gaggle of kids on a Zambian soccer field. You wanted to connect with them and you didn’t care if you looked silly while you did it. Never lose that, little brother. People are drawn to you. Keep seeking to connect with them.

Shannon, thank you for the effort you have made to understand and become part of this crazy family. Because of the way life is, you haven’t spent a lot of time with any of us. But I know that you want to know us and that staying connected is important to you. I don’t know if I ever told you this. . .but the moment I gave up any reservations about whether you would fit in was the moment I saw you on the floor at your rehearsal dinner playing with our nephews. I mean, it was your rehearsal dinner and all of the people you love the most in the world were there. And you were dressed up in your adorable dress and tights. But there you were on the floor, playing with those two boys. They say actions speak louder than words. And in that moment, I knew.  . .you would make it as a Shimer.

Julie, my darling Julie, thank you for making me a sister. Did I ever tell you that before you were born, I promised to run away if you were a boy? I’m so glad I didn’t have to run away. And I’m so thankful that you are my sister. Thank you for showing me what God’s love for the “least of these” looks like. Your baby whispering (and toddler whispering) skills are beyond compare. I think it’s because children (much like dogs) innately know when someone loves them  and wants to take care of them. (Maybe that’s why Buttercup seemed so attached to youJ) I know several families who have experiences the love of God shining through you as you care for their kids and help them to be “trained up in the way they should go.” You’re cooler than I’ll ever be and I pray that you see what everyone around you sees. . .my beautiful Julie Rose

Craig, thank you for being born. Yeah, I know you didn’t really have anything to do with it. But more than anything, I’m thankful you are part of our family. Thank you for teaching me just how much of a responsibility being a big sister is and for showing me how much joy can come it as well. I’ve watched you grow up from afar and I feel like I only have glimpses of the man you are becoming. But I can see that the examples you have been given are shaping you into a man I would be proud to know and work with, even if you weren’t in my family. And yes, most of the time, I look at you and see the 5th grader who sat with me in Starbucks and told me about this new series about a demigod named Percy Jackson. But I can’t wait to see what comes next for you.

Maximus, thank you for making me an aunt. I think it’s true that, while there kids that were special to me before you were born, it took you being born for me to really understand what being an aunt means. I love listening to you tell me about backhoes and Thomas. I love telling you superhero stories and looking at pictures of Spiderman with you. I love hearing stories that show how your personality is growing and developing. Thank you for talking to me on the computer and showing me your toys.

Deakers, thank you for being you. You don’t know it yet, but I think some day your big brother is going to benefit from your laid-backness and the way you roll with the punches. (Sure some days it’ll probably be rolling with his punches, but that’s how brothers work). I just found out that you love books. I love books too. I know you are a cuddler. I am too. I think you are a kid after my own heart and I can’t wait to know you more.


Rohan, I can’t wait to meet you. I can’t wait to hold you in my arms and kiss your face and make you smile. I can’t wait to start seeing what kind of person you will become. What will you love? How will you handle having two big brothers? What will be your unique contribution to this crazy family of ours? I know you’re going to be amazing and I can’t wait to find out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment